When it comes to ice-making, the default for many is the conventional freezer method—either your…
In today’s world of “smart everything”, homeowners are turning to smart lock devices to secure their homes. These devices offer high-level security and are also designed for convenience since they can be controlled remotely and you don’t need to fiddle for your keys when you get to the door. Of course, what you get depends on the type of smart lock device you purchase and install. Features vary widely from one unit to the other. Here are some of the things to consider before you buy a smart lock device.
- Buying Guide For Smart Locks to Keep Your Home Secure
- Best Smart Locks to Keep Your Home Secure
- 1. August Home AUG-SL03-C02-G03 Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Bundle, Dark Gray
- 2. August Home AUG-SL04-M01-S04 Silver August Smart Lock, 3rd Generation Technology
- 3. Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Camelot Trim Satin Nickel (BE479 CAM 619), Works with Alexa
- 4. Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Built-In Alarm and Handleset Grip with Accent Lever, Satin Nickel, FE469NX ACC 619 CAM RH, Works with Alexa
- 5. Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt with Century Trim in Satin Nickel (BE489WB CEN 619)
- 6. Yale YRD226-ZW2-619 Z-Wave Plus Touchscreen Deadbolt Assure Lock, Satin Nickel
- 7. Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus - Key Free Door Lock with Touchscreen Keypad - Works with SmartThings, Wink and More (YRD256ZW2619) in Satin Nickel
- 8. Google, RB-YRD540-WV-0BP, Nest x Yale Lock with Nest Connect, Smart Lock, Oil-Rubbed Bronze
- 9. Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock, PIN Genie Door Lock (PGD 728) with Discreet Peek-Proof Touchscreen Keypad, Bluetooth Enabled, Auto Lock, Battery Backup & Easy Installation (SatinNickel)
- 10. Samsung SHS-3321 Digital Door Lock, Black, Keyless, Electronic, Deadbolt
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Final Thoughts
Buying Guide For Smart Locks to Keep Your Home Secure
Lock Type: Deadbolt or lever-style
When it comes to smart locks, the two major options available are lever-style and deadbolt lock type. Lever-style lock systems have a door opening lever and the lock on the same device. The deadlock lock type, on the other hand, is designed to simply replace your current deadbolt. While deadbolts are more commonly used, lever locks are becoming increasingly common too.
Although smart locks are desired mainly for security purposes, they also add some aesthetic beauty to your door as well. This is why most locks come in different styles and finish. You should the various options and choose a device you will find attractive on your door.
Connecting to a smart home system is required for controlling your smart door lock remotely. The various radio options available for this include Z-Wave, Zigbee or Bluetooth. In most cases, you will also have to purchase a bridge module to connect the lock to the smart home hub. However, some smart lock devices have Wi-Fi built into them. The only downsides to these types of devices are that they require more power to work so the battery may drain faster than normal.
Smart home compatibility
You also have to consider how your smart lock device will fit in with the rest of your smart home infrastructure. Compatibility with smart home hubs such as Alexa, Homekit and Google assistant is an important consideration.
Best Smart Locks to Keep Your Home Secure
1. August Home AUG-SL03-C02-G03 Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Bundle, Dark Gray
The August Smart Lock Pro allows you to monitor and maintain total control over your door from wherever you are. With this device, you can keep track of entry and exit through the door and lock or unlock it from your phone. With the Smart lock pro, the door locks automatically when you step out and unlocks itself as you approach it. You also get 24/7 activity feeds to track who is coming and going.
The installation of this door lock is quite simple. you can do it all on your own in just 10 minutes. It works with most single-cylinder deadbolts thanks to Retrofit Technology. This smart lock device can be controlled by phones with Android 5.0 OS or iOS 9.0. It also pairs seamlessly with Alexa, Siri, and GoogleHome for even smarter control.
2. August Home AUG-SL04-M01-S04 Silver August Smart Lock, 3rd Generation Technology
The August Smart Lock allows keyless entry for your home while keeping it secure at all times. It also makes monitoring your home remotely a lot easier. You can use the August app to track activity at your doorstep or grant access to friends and family members remotely. You can even determine how long the access to last whether its for weeks or mere minutes.
Installing the August Smart Lock is simple. You don’t have to bother about changing your lock and keys since it can be easily attached to your existing deadbolt. This smart lock device integrates with various smart home control systems including Alexa, Google Assistant, Simplisafe, Airbnb and so on.
3. Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Camelot Trim Satin Nickel (BE479 CAM 619), Works with Alexa
The Schlage Sense Smart Lock comes with a touchscreen that allows you to unlock your door using a 5 digit pin instead of fiddling for keys when you get to your door. You can also unlock or look the door from anywhere by simply using the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter that can be purchased separately with the unit. This adapter also makes hands-free voice control possible. You can also pair the smart lock with Alexa and other smart home systems. Your 5 digit pin is encrypted securely and you can use the Schlage Sense app for Android and iOS to manage your pain and other functions seamlessly.
4. Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Built-In Alarm and Handleset Grip with Accent Lever, Satin Nickel, FE469NX ACC 619 CAM RH, Works with Alexa
The Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt uses Z-wave technology to connect with smart home systems to look and unlock your home remotely using your smartphone or via the web. The device also features a smudge and fingerprint-resistant touchscreen. This makes it possible to unlock your door using a preset pin and share access with multiple users.
You can rest assured that your home is protected at all times with this device. However, in case of a breach, the Schlage Connect features an alarm system that notified you of security threats or tampering with your device.
5. Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt with Century Trim in Satin Nickel (BE489WB CEN 619)
One of the most outstanding features of the Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt is the fact that it features an inbuilt Wi-Fi. This makes remote access possible from anywhere without the need to buy any additional Wi-Fi Adapter. This Deadbolt smart lock device also has a touchscreen with a simple one-touch lock system in place. You can set and manage up to 100 different codes. This makes it possible to grant temporary or permanent access to family and friends.
This device also features a built-in alarm technology. This senses any potential security breach and warns you. There is also a battery indicator that notifies you when the battery needs replacement. Installation is simple thanks to Snap ‘n Stay technology. The Schlage Encode Smart Lock is designed to fit almost every standard door.
6. Yale YRD226-ZW2-619 Z-Wave Plus Touchscreen Deadbolt Assure Lock, Satin Nickel
The Yale YRD226-ZW2-619 was voted as the number one smart door lock brand for the year 2017 by CEPro. This Deadbolt smart lock device is one of the best options you can consider to safeguard your home and control exit and entry with ease. It works with Z-wave smart home systems and can be paired with voice control hubs like Alexa, Siri and so on.
The Yale YRD226-ZW2-619 features a touchscreen keypad which makes key less entry quite simple. The touchscreen is back-lit so you can easily make use of it even in the dark. Alternatively, you can control your door using the intuitive smart home app. Installation on existing doors is quite easy. It fits almost every standard doors and you can get it done on your own.
7. Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus - Key Free Door Lock with Touchscreen Keypad - Works with SmartThings, Wink and More (YRD256ZW2619) in Satin Nickel
The Yale Assure Smart Lock device is a slim automated smart lock device that provides optimal security and looks good on your door as well. It pairs easily with most smart home systems and can be installed on most standard doors too.
This device features a backlit touchscreen pad that allows you to open the door using your unique code. There is also an instant lock feature that automatically locks the door behind you when you tap on the keypad with three fingers. The lock also features a 9V charging terminal under the keypad. This makes emergency charging possible so you never get locked out if the battery dies.
8. Google, RB-YRD540-WV-0BP, Nest x Yale Lock with Nest Connect, Smart Lock, Oil-Rubbed Bronze
This Keyless deadbolt smart lock device from Google is tamper-proof and secure. This device not only allows remote access to lock or unlock your door, but you also get notified when someone goes in and out of your door. It works with the Nest Secure Alarm system to safeguard your home at all times.
No key is required at all to use this device so you don’t have to worry about losing your key. You simply tap on the touchscreen to lock. This Deadbolt smart lock device can also detect when you are away from the house and lock the door behind you if you forgot to do so.
9. Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock, PIN Genie Door Lock (PGD 728) with Discreet Peek-Proof Touchscreen Keypad, Bluetooth Enabled, Auto Lock, Battery Backup & Easy Installation (SatinNickel)
The Lockly PGD 728 is designed for security and convenience. This device uses a patented peek-proof smart lock system which prevents others from copying your smart code by reshuffling the numbers after each use. To further enhance security, there is an audible alarm system and an auto-lock feature.
Remote control and access is possible from both Android and iOS devices. You can share keys with family members and you get push notifications anytime these virtual keys are used. This device also comes with a backup emergency power supply that can be used to open the door when the battery runs out.
10. Samsung SHS-3321 Digital Door Lock, Black, Keyless, Electronic, Deadbolt
More than just a way to secure your home, this smart door lock is also designed with modern aesthetics to make your door more attractive. This device uses an enhanced security system to safeguard your home. First, you have to input two random security numbers before entering your pin. Then there is the double authentication system that requires both your password and RFID tag to open the door. Then there is the Double Lock system that only allows the door to be opened from inside the house once activated. A loud alarm goes off in case of an intrusion and there is a fire alarm that goes off if the temperature becomes too high. This lock has your back at all times.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Smart door locks promise an enhanced security experience. It also offers greater control and convenience. However, since there are various types and models of smart lock devices. You must know the things to look out for to choose the right one for your needs. The August Smart Lock Pro is our top choice among the list of reviewed products above. However, you can still check out any of the other options that fit your specific needs better as they are all top quality smart door lock devices.